As humans, we depend on one another; we usually look out for one another, love one another, and express concern and affection toward one another.
Is it even possible to exist in this world without love? Here, I’m not referring to a romantic connection; instead, I’m referring to helping out a loved one when they’re in need.
Tips to care for your loved ones when they feel low
One of the most important things you can do for your partner is be there for them when they need you.
Holding them close, listening to them actively without asking questions, or pouring them with advice is much better.
You can offer your partner a positive approach rather than a pessimistic thought process that makes them feel more down than before.
Please make sure that you love them and support them in all circumstances.
Encourage them to share how they felt emotionally and find out if there is any barrier to expressing what they think; it changes according to their mood and the place or time where they are.
Just Don’t interrogate them or inquire them about what happened. Instead, you can use the following questions
To facilitate this drawn-out process, Gottman recommends using “exploratory statements and open-ended questions” like:
- Tell me what happened.
- Tell me everything that’s bothering/worrying you.
- Let me know all of your concerns.
- Tell me everything that’s led up to this.
- I was hoping you could help me understand more about what you’re feeling.
- What set off these feelings?
- What’s the thing that’s worrying you the most?
- What’s the worst that could happen? (If you feel like someone is catastrophizing — believing something is much worse than it is — try working through this exercise with them)
By working through these questions, you will definitely help your loved ones to open up and talk about the issues they go through and get themselves back to normal.
Sometimes you can also workout or plan some distractive activities that they wish to be interested in like painting, gardening, shopping,g etc. It makes them to feel out of that depressed situation and helps to heal them and feel freshed.